Read on (well, watch the video) if you want to know why Facebook mobile apps are not making REST queries to the back end…
This is an insightful look into changes in web services and apps (at least at Facebook) over the past 4 or 5 years.
I’m consolidating pictures, videos on Amazon cloud drive, using “acd_cli [to] provid[e] a command… line interface to Amazon Cloud Drive and allow… mounting [of] your cloud drive using FUSE for read and write access. I’m doing this to fix problems caused by older large-ish linux desktop at home that seems to be failing (occasional bit errors, drive failures, random hangs in certain video modes) and pictures, videos, files, etc. scattered across Facebook, Google, local hard drives, etc. It seems like the right solution at the right time. Useful Foo.
Figure 1: Clouds Go Here
These are notes-to-self on how to Livestream a recital. Results here: https://livestream.com/accounts/15955035/events/4497313 Still needs editing. Action starts around 12:30 in the first half video.
There will probably be a few updates to this post later. Check back with the WordPress version (not the one cross-posted from wordpresss) or contact me directly if you have questions
List links to the event
- livestream event
- facebook event page
- google plus event announcment
Create and post link to second event
- Backup event with iPAD (results not as good)
List links to general useful advice on livestreaming
Investigating live streaming options
- Google Hangouts On Air
- I investigated Google Hangout On Air events. They are linked to YouTube. It looks like workable option. https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2553119?hl=en They seem to work pretty well for emacs-hangouts http://sachachua.com/blog/tag/emacs-hangout/, but I had some problems getting it working/broadcasting from various devices.
- The other useful option (recommended by Bryan’s friends who broadcast their recitals) is http://livestream.com/. I played around with this some and it seems to work pretty well. I am in the process (below) of learning the ins-and-outs, but will be using this.
Investigate Hardware Options
- built-in 720p camera
- External snnoball blue USB microphone (44.1 hz, 16 bit)
- tech specs from appple
- tech specs from pcworld
- See below.
- I could find no data on the built-in microphone(s) on the iPad.
Front Camera Webcam Yes Front Camera Webcam Resolution 1.2 Megapixel Rear Camera Yes Rear Camera Resolution 5 Megapixel Rear Camera Video Resolution 1920 x 1080
List general info on digital recording of sound and sad history around two apples
- Intro to sample rates and bit depth
- https://documentation.apple.com/en/soundtrackpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=B§ion=2&tasks=true is a good intro to digital sound
- Sad commentary on two apples
- When Apple computer made its deal with the Beatles Apple Records for the use of the trademark “Apple”, both thought a computer company would never get into music…see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer, Harrison’s “Sue Me, Sue You Blues” http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/george+harrison/sue+me+sue+you+blues_20059142.html https://youtu.be/CzMESyJXWys is apt, but I digress greatly…
List general info on using livestream
- Livestream tech specs
- The livestream tech specs http://livestream.com/platform/tech-specs are good for knowing what the options are.
Install Broadcasting Software
- For the mac I broadcast with the free livestream producer
- For the iPad I broadcast with the livestream app
Open Questions/Things to try
What’s the difference between livestream free and first paid teir (“Basic”) ?
Based on this https://livestream.com/platform/pricing and other info, it appears that the first non-free teir ($99/mo, month to month) offers the following advantages over free teir:
- No login required for viewers
- e.g. viewers do not have to set up a livestream account
- Cloud Recording
- e.g. so you can donwload the MP4 afterwords
- Storage past 30 days
- if you pay for more than one month
Choosing the account option
So, for my use, broadcasting a single event, it seems that signing up for a “Basic” account makes the most sense
- Can I cancel (not pay for more months) with no hassle?
- It is apparently possible to “downgrade” (not paying any more) after the event http://help.livestream.com/customer/portal/articles/610476-how-do-i-downgrade-or-close-my-plan–
- Download MP4 from some of my test. Not availablefor free accounts? To downlaod (using account owner login on web page), go to event, within each event there is a list of videos. At the top rigth is a gear icon. One of the options is to download at various pixel resolutions. Do that.
[ ]Use Houlo
- Another option, not tried, possibly useful for free accounts is _http://houlo.com/articles/How-to-download-video-from-livestream
Test video resolution on the iPad
- front camera video
- Appears to record only in 540p
- rear camera video
- Appears to record only in 540p
Test video resolution on mac
- Appears to provide options of 720p to 270p
Test Audio sampling rates on iPad
Test Audio sampling rates on mac
- Mixer allows you to choose input source (e.g. snowball, internal mic, etc.)
Test live streaming performance on several devices
- e.g. can we see something approximating real time
- are delays bad/unacceptable
Set up a test event, broadcast it today
- To give me practice broadcasting
Test Livestreaming twice simultaniously
- e.g. I might want to broadcast from a PC using hardwired network port and attached external microphone to get highest quality sound and no contention for wireless, and also live from an iPad (higher quality camera, ?lower quality? mic) to provide two options.
- To broadcast live twice simultaniously you have to have two events.
- To give “audience” a chance to test their PC/iPad/whatever
Make sure broadcasting devices are not going to time out/screen-lock/etc
- Turn off screen lock, timeout, whatever
- possibly turn down sreeen screen brightness, e.g. on iPad if it will not be plugged i
Mess with power saving options to prevent shudown
Broadcast for over an hour in test event
Fully charge batteries on broadcast devices
Change batteries in headphones
Figure out a couple “mounting” options for devices
- ? on music stands ?
- ? on railing at side of auditorium? ?
- ? on step-stool ?
- DUCT TAPE !!!
Things to understand/find out
What bitrate and sample freququency shoudl I use ?
Per https://documentation.apple.com/en/soundtrackpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=B§ion=2&tasks=true it seems that 24 bit 48hz would more than suffice…
Understand Relationship between upload and download quality
- e.g. can I record/upload at highest quality while allowing people on slow connections (like me on my home wireless) download/view at lower bandwidth*
Understand my storage usage and limits
So much useful foo, so little time…and it calls out CompuServe in 1983 as a cloud storage pioneer 🙂
Trying to figure out the best way to live stream Bryan Jones Senior Recital…
…for those that can’t attend in person.
At the moment it looks like Google Hangout On Air events linked to YouTube is a workable option:
Looks like maybe a Mac for video with the semi-studio quality mic I bought for Bryan when he went to collage but never used may do the trick.
Any thoughts, experiences or offers to help/test appreciated.
Downloading from livestream. Options:
So true: http://xkcd.com/1597/